I've written three books now, one on machine learning and two on C++. A few people have asked me which C++ book to buy, because the titles might not give enough information.
So, here goes. I wrote "Learn C++ by Example" first.
I think "Relearn C++ by Example" might have been a clearer title. I wrote it for people who knew C++ once, but have lost track since recent new standards. Each chapter has a focus on one main new C++ feature, from range-based for loops to coroutines. I've blogged about the contents before, for example https://buontempoconsulting.blogspot.com/2024/08/why-i-wrote-learn-c-by-example.html.
It's not intended for beginners in C++, but some people have found it helpful even if they haven't done C++ before.
Which brings me to the second book. There are a few books introducing C++ out there, but many are old now. O'Reilly asked me to write them a new book for C++ beginners. I did assume you might have some idea about coding, but haven't used C++ before.
So, "Introducing C++" is intended for beginners. I wrote a blog gibing an overview a while ago: https://buontempoconsulting.blogspot.com/2025/08/introducing-c-what-it-will-cover.html. In fact, Berill Farkas gave a talk at Using std::cpp 2026 called "Learning C++ as a newcomer" based on her review of my book. She's a teenager, and had coded in PHP and Python before, but not C++. Her feedback of a review copy was very helpful.
Buy both books, by all means, but the O'Reilly book is aimed at C++ beginners and Learn C++ by Example is aimed at people who already know a bit of C++ and want a quick tour of some newer C++.
No comments:
Post a Comment